Monday, March 17, 2014

BRAZIL: Week 5 - Dog Whisperer

I don't usually get bit my mosquitos, but when I do, it's ALWAYS at the most inconvenient times! Like, while working out, while praying, during a meeting...... dang mosquitos.

Anyways, I have found out that dogs here speak English tambem. And, they have recognized that I am the alfa dog. aha! This whole transfer we haven't had any problems with dogs, whatsoever! Which is great because my companion is EXTREMELY afraid of dogs! she is even afraid of those little puffballs! 

This week has been a tough week. In a couple of different ways. I will touch on one. 4 of our investigators have fallen off the face of the earth. We can not find them or get a hold of them...... the 3 Haitians apparently moved and no one knows where..... and then J., who called us about getting baptized, is never home and wont answer the phone. ( We finally got a hold of him Saturday and he is having a lot of doubts and wants to stop taking the lesson right now.... :/ ) 

On the plus side! A clown that was selling lollipops came up to us and asked how he could join our church! And he gave us a free lollipop! Legit! We contacted a media refferal who was this really old couple. They loved the video about Christ and thought we were the coolest thing on the planet, so they took like a billion photos of us! ha (They are not really interested in the church however...) E., is getting baptized this Friday! And she is super excited! SO ARE WE!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

I had a humbling experience this week. I was talking to the member that gave our zone leaders a ride for the baptismal interview and he was like, 
"how long have you been in Brasil?" 
"5 weeks..."
Then he was like, "ONLY 5 weeks?! Are you serious? You're Portuguese is really good. How did you learn so fast? Could you help me learn English fast?" 
My response was, "Its all because of the Holy Ghost" 

I thought of that verse in the Book of Mormon where it says, 'I can only boast in my God because through Him, I can do all things.' Which I have seen so much on my mission already. People are impressed with my language skills for the amount of time I've been here and it is definitely not me. The Lord needed me in Brasil and to speak Portuguese. He knew that languages are not my forte, but He works with imperfect people to strengthen their weakness. If I do my part, God will help me do things that seem impossible. I am so greatful to be on a mission. I am so greatful to be able to serve the people in Brasil and speak their language. And, most of all, I am so thankful for the Holy Ghost in my life. 

I hope you have a most wonderful week!

Sister Keeler

P.S FYI: We receive letters once a month and this week was THE week! woohooo! I received 5 letters, two from Dad, (a february one and a march one), Jenny, Monica, and Elder Bascom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment